Saturday, December 5, 2020

Dating your work

Should I date my work or not? This is a question many artists ask. Here are my thoughts on it.


If you are offering your work for sale, an older date beside your name suggests the work has been hanging around for a while and nobody wanted it. Even if it has been in your studio for years and never offered for sale, people will get a wrong first impression. For this reason only, I don't date my work. I used to, and you may find some of mine with a date on it.


On the other hand, you need to keep a record of when you did the work. It lets you know what you painted like several years ago as well as providing a background for the work in case anyone asks. So I say keep a record, photos are best, but don't date your work.


No comments:

Post a Comment