Saturday, December 5, 2020

One of my methods of planning a painting

Let's say I want to paint a church with a cemetery and I want the painting to have meaning, that is to say it must say something or leave a message for the viewer. First I will go out and take a digital picture of a church, any church. I'll take several for the details. When I come to draw and paint it I can't remember details. A lot of us can't. So I take some pictures.


Next, because of the theme I have in mind, I visit a cemetery and take some pictures of tombstones. This happens to be in the middle of winter in Canada and there is lots of snow. It adds to what I am after. Snow, cold, lonely but I plan to place an orange glowing light in the church window to bring back the warmth. Get the picture? 


No comments:

Post a Comment