Saturday, December 5, 2020

Painting from memory and imagination

Painting from memory or imagination is hard to do. You start out and things look fine for a while. Suddenly you can't quite remember how the edge of a river should look, or what was the real shape of that tree, or what were the real colours of those rocks. At this point I usually leave the painting before I ruin it. I'm guessing here instead of being sure of what I want to paint. Sometimes when you guess it works. Most times you get into trouble.


I had those very problems with my last painting and I ended up scrapping it. By that I mean I scraped all the rough paint off, sanded the panel, and re-applied gesso. It waits for inspiration.


I ran into the same problem with a new painting. I began to get worried. This is where an artist has to remember the words of his former mentor. "Never give up". "Make it turn out".

So I took the dog and myself up to O'Hara Mill, a natural pioneer setting about five minutes drive from home where I often go for peace and solitude. Most of the time, today included, I was the only one in the park. There are a thousand paintings waiting to be done there if you like landscapes. I made a sketch and observed what water looked like at the edges, what trees really looked like in November. Nature is wonderful and as I spent my two hours there with my dog, both of us sitting quietly in the warm sun taking it all in, I think we both regained our composure and charged our batteries. Now I can paint and my dog can look forward to going there again soon. She loves it there. It's wild and beautiful. It's just what an artist and his dog needs.


No comments:

Post a Comment